Wednesday 24 October 2012

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

What is your working title of your book?
The title for the next book being released is Blood Mother.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
This is always an impossible question to answer. A million different influences and images get distilled into what finally emerges as the 'idea' for a new story; even the initial spark is usually very difficult to pin down. The first volume of this series, Dead Roots, emerged from boredom at two in the morning and I fully did not expect to finish it. I had the idea to combine Splinter Cell with Silent Hill and see what came out, and what I wound up with was much closer to The X-Files. At least in my opinion.
 

What genre does your book fall under?
Horror/thriller. It's been called a cross between Raymond Chandler and H.P. Lovecraft.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oh, this was fun. (An extended answer to this question can be found on my tumblr)
Thomas Bell - Michael Fassbender
Artie - Seth Rogen
Shinichiro Keda - Justin Chon
Margaret Redding - Gillian Anderson
Oscar Tippler - Zach Galafianakis
Evey - Mila Kunis
Harold Saldana - Woody Harrelson
Cristophe -Common
Rodham - Will Smith
Berenger  - Martin Sheen
Jethro - Ethan Suplee
Hatcher - Daniel Day Lewis
Madame Theroux - Tonye Patano
Cody - Michael Madsen
 
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Thomas Bell, emotionally scarred paranormal government analyst, travels to New Orleans to clear his name, in the eyes of a coven of barbaric near-human monsters.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'll be self-publishing my book on Amazon.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
The first draft took about six months. The bulk of the work occurred during the final two months, as during the first four I was also editing, publishing and promoting the first in the series.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
American Gods, Ring, 1408, The Call of Cthulhu

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
There's actually a fairly long post about this on my blog, but I've always dabbled around with fiction and this was just one of those ideas that I put a few pages into and didn't really think I'd finish; what inspired me to really dig my heels in and try to make a proper series out of it was the success of Fifty Shades of Grey. I felt that if people would pay in the millions for what I considered to be ill-conceived wish-fulfillment dross, then I had no excuse not to try and make a living writing.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
 The setting is an expansive and original world drawing much inspiration from Japanese horror and mythology, populated by flawed and neurotic characters.

Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.

Lee Laughead, a fiercely smart writer who blogs about video games and has a novel out called Anchored to the Flesh.  http://www.leelaughead.com/

Steve Flavin, a dear friend who blogs on any medium you can think of about film, fashion, celebrities, art and literature.  http://steveflavin.tv 

Josh Loomis, author of Cold Iron and professional coder/blogger. http://about.me/blueinkalchemist 

Tom Sims, another good friend who is currently working on his own graphic novel. http://defilerwyrm.tumblr.com/ 

Jesse Summerson. I wish this guy had a blog I could link to, but currently a short story of his can be found in the anthology Explorers: Beyond the Horizon. http://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Beyond-The-Horizon-ebook/dp/B008E97SHW 


Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged. 
I was tagged by Lisa Bouchard. http://LisaBouchard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment