Thursday 31 January 2013

Why you might like The Analyst (tumblr crosspost)

Crossposting this from my tumblr - woodfiction.tumblr.com

You may have seen me or some of my followers posting about this series already. If not, hello there. If so, hello again!

While my self-published horror series The Analyst has been enjoying some modest acclaim, it feels like I’m having a hard time getting new readers to sit down and give it a look— largely because (in my estimation) on the surface it may appear to be little more than derivative pap that rides the coattails of existing series like The Dresden Files. I’ve been playing my cards close to the chest hoping that the series’ merits would come out on their own, but now I think maybe it’s time I talk a little bit about what I’m trying to achieve.

1. I don’t have to cater to a market. Self-publishing means I get to write what I want, how I want, and I don’t have to insult the reader’s intelligence. I don’t have to spell everything out for the reader, and I don’t. Events and relationships are left open to speculation.

2. The story is about people. While The Analyst is a horror series, it takes place in a grounded world without magical solutions or perfect heroes. Along with the fantastical dread and monsters, I write about race, mental illness, divorce and sexuality. The horror plays off of the characters.

3. The cast is eclectic. By the end of the third installment, King of Men, the rotating main cast will include male, female, black, white, Asian, gay, bi, and trans characters. There are no token roles; I’m not trying to appease a demographic. These are fully realized and explored personalities.

4. The horror elements are not Judeo-Christian. Aren’t you tired of vampires, fairies, demons, zombies and the Devil? Me too. What I really love is J-horror, and all of my monsters are run through a filter of Silent Hill- and Junji Ito-style filth. Many of the named creatures are drawn from eastern mythologies including Japan, China and India. Any werewolves, vampires and ghosts are run through a grinder until they’re barely recognizable.

If you’d like to pick up one of my books, you can get them for Kindle or in paperback (Blood Mother paperback coming shortly).

No comments:

Post a Comment